Sunday, June 3, 2018

Avant Vespers


I shared the following on FaceBook today regarding a new series that takes over somewhat where the Locust Salon and Avant GaRAWge left off:

For many years I have been experimenting with different ways to structure time in music.  I’m very excited to present a piece tonight that does this in ways that I’ve imagined but never quite realized.  No Within No is also an exploration of liminality, the space within the supposed borders.  This is something I’ve been fascinated with for years, but I feel like I’m getting further into that groove.  The borders that become continua are those between speech and music, composed and improvised text, intelligible words and phonemes, humor and profundity, heterophony and polyphony, and a few others.  I’m so glad to have two of my favorite vocalist/performers joining me, Hannah McLaughlin and Stuart Wheeler.  And also very grateful to be surrounded with other fascinating music being made by Mr. Wheeler, Gavin Ryan, Devin Maxwell, and the music of Pauline Oliveros, Alvin Lucier, and Phil Niblock, composers rarely heard in these parts.  Incidentally, I share a regard for Sunday as a sacred time and consider this event, in a beautiful and intimate church, a wonderful opportunity for meditation and the celebration of the divine gift of sound, whatever your beliefs or life practices are.

No comments: